Friday, November 16, 2007

Boss Coleman offered resignation

Boss Coleman offered resignation

Former Fulham manager Chris Coleman has revealed he was set to quit as coach of Real Sociedad following the resignation of president Maria de la Pena.
Coleman was persuaded to stay by the remaining Sociedad board members.

But the Welshman's long-term future at the Basque club remains in doubt, with board elections called for 3 January.

"After the information I received that Maria would finish, I said 'okay, for me, I finish', but the directors said 'No, stay'," said Coleman.

The most important thing is the club, not the directors, not me

Chris Coleman

"They said to me 'We want you to stay, continue to work, it is very important'," he added.

De la Pena played an influential role in bringing Coleman to San Sebastian this summer and the Wales international admitted that if she left he was willing to follow suit.

But after De la Pena stepped down on Wednesday night, Coleman does not know what will happen at the start of next year when Sociedad hold their elections.

"The most important thing is the club, not the directors, not me, it's the club," he added.

"So at this moment it's more important that we maintain some stability. The third of January, I don't know. Maybe everything changes, I don't know, nobody knows.

"Until then there are six very important games. We will work hard for that - after that I don't know.

"I thought that if Maria was leaving, I thought the directors were leaving as well, but that is not the case at the moment.

"Without the president it's a big change and it's a big decision, but the directors are still in place until January 3rd.

"Maybe after that they are still here, maybe not, we don't know."

Last weekend's 1-1 home draw with Celta left Sociedad 13th in the second division table on 16 points, 11 behind leaders Malaga.

Coleman is enduring a torrid time at the Basque club since taking over in the summer.

The club are already investigating the actions of Coleman after he turned up 90 minutes late for a press conference.

Coleman said he had been late arriving to that day's media briefing due to flooding at his flat caused by his washing machine, but Spanish media also reported he had been at a nightclub until the early hours of the morning.

Coleman later admitted he had been out late "somewhere I shouldn't have been" on Thursday, and that he had apologised to his players prior to the game.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home